Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Dolphins Continue to Strand Themselves

I've been following this story for the past few weeks, and it continues to disturb me:  Along the coast of Cape Cod, a total of 177 dolphins have been stranded, and out of those, 124 have died.  The reason remains unknown.


Some have speculated that it is because of global warming.  The temperature along the coast is warmer than normal this time of year and could be confusing the dolphins' sense of direction, causing the dolphins to strand themselves.

While many people find it easy to merit different happenings to global warming, I also realize many people doubt that the phenomena is even occurring.  A few years ago, I was a sceptic and wanted proof.  Now, there is scientific evidence that it is occurring.  The cause of global warming remains unknown; it could be man-caused or a natural cycle, or even a combination of both.  I hope in my heart that not only is global warming not man-caused but that these recent strandings are not caused by man either--I don't know how to live with a clear conscience if hundreds of dolphins are dying due to something man-caused.

Rescuers are putting great effort into saving these dolphins and have successfully rescued 43 dolphins total.  People are also holding vigils along the coast.  I greatly commend these efforts and pray that these strandings would stop.

The latest on this story from The Boston Globe